Tuesday 11 February 2014

Cooking for a cook

Who would have ever thought Steve and I would have Maori television's celebrity chef, Pete Peeti, in our bloody kitchen! Well we didn't anyway.

As we were finishing up at the shed, Pete rolled up with a cheeky grin and couldn't wait to get amongst what our backyard had to offer. It literally was the best afternoon and night for a deer stalk and steve couldn't contain his excitement to take Pete out.




As they headed off towards the bush Pete hit me with a bomb - "cook yourself and the boys a feed, we don't know what time we will be in, there's a bag of goodies on the bench"

100 questions were going through my head! Do I cook him dinner as well? Should I just leave what he bought and find something else? Where the hell do I start!? What are we gonna have? Is he going to like my cooking?!

Well in the end I ended up cooking for everyone.

An ameture cook cooking for a bloody CHEF! Now I really didn't have the slightest clue where to start.
Especially when we were expecting him to do the cooking ;)

With a bag full of goodies Pete had left on the bench I had a fair idea what I was going to do. The bag consisted of

  • Scallops
  • Prawns
  • Salami
  • Crayfish x2
As I rummaged to see what we had in the pantry I managed to whip up a beautiful prawn pad Thai for the boys and myself. 

Now what to do for the men... 

After a lot of thinking I decided to just bite the bullet and do what I normally do in the kitchen and make it up along the way. I created a creamy chili and garlic prawn fettuccine for them, and it was a hit!
I also pan fried the scallops and put the crayfish on a plate for them. Pete mentioned my scallops were cooked beauuttiiffullyy. 

WHAT THE F*%K IS HE SAYING?! It was my first time cooking them. I couldn't bloody believe it. The only thing he would have liked more was SALT. 



We ended our meal with a slice of homemade cheesecake made from fresh berries I had picked from the farm earlier on in the week. It was my first time making cheesecake so his opinion was going to either stop me from making more or make me go back for more berries!


I felt a little intimidated, or well a lot like Kasey & Karena Bird on Masterchef as I presented him my food. He was a lot nicer than the judges though ;)

After a few laughs and a couple of beers, we threw the kids in the back seat of the truck with a pillow and a blanket and set off for a late night spotlight.

The joy it brings Steve and I to be able to watch peoples face light up to see what we have here on our own backyard really is rewarding. Pete is a top notch bloke full of wisdom and we are so grateful for the opportunity it was to have him in our home.

Well to conclude things here we loved having him. The joy it brought us seeing his face when we got home at 1.30am after night of spotlighting was priceless. Makes us both so happy to
be able to take people around to go hunting. It's a pity we didn't see anything!

Hope you enjoyed the read and please if you want to keep posted, subscribe to my post updates :)

Latttteerrrssssssssss xxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment